Of course, there are some things you need to worry about during your moving day. For example, moving day theft is a big concern to some and with due reason. Some of the moving companies can be dishonest and, more importantly, some of the workers can as well. Some things can get stolen and/or missing and you won’t ever see them again. Fortunately, we have prepared a short guide to help you learn how to avoid moving day theft. We hope that you never have to use it, but if you do, it will be at your disposal!
How to prevent moving day theft?
Every single person needs a guide about how to avoid fraudulent moving companies and firms. However, everything might be in order before moving day theft. So, how to figure out who is going to steal from you and who is not? It’s simple, really:
- Check Moving Reviews – By checking the moving reviews, you can see how much a company is reliable. There will be fake reviews as well, so avoid companies who have fake reviews. Read every comment and dig through every nook and cranny. You might thank us later.
- Know your inventory – Make a list of every item you are moving to a new location. We mean it, make a list of EVERY item you are moving. That way it will be easy for you to check what’s missing (if anything) after the move. You should also observe the entire moving process. Usually, the most common items that get stolen or destroyed are easily breakable, so make sure to pack fragile items correctly and in special moving boxes.
- Know your workers – Make sure to know your workers as much as possible prior to the move. In case one of them is a potential thief, you will have a chance to recognize that prior to the move. Prevention is the best solution for everything. After all, always try to prevent moving day theft when you can.
Other things to keep in mind
There are some other things you can keep in mind. For example, you can make a moving checklist or you can observe the entire process. You can also choose to help your workers with every piece of your equipment. In reality, there are numerous ways you can prevent or avoid moving day theft. You only need to think of ways someone can steal your property and when. Will it be prior to the move, during the move or after the move? When will it be easier for the thief to steal and get away? Think like a thief to catch one, but, more importantly, be ready to prevent it at all costs.
You can also hire the best professional packing services. This will ensure that your items remain safe because the company that will work for you is the best for a reason. You can even talk to them about your concerns and they will make a double effort to make sure that everything is in perfect order after the move. Remember, there are ways you can prevent moving day theft – hiring the best moving services is only one of them!
More methods you can use to prevent moving day theft
There are other methods you can use to prevent moving day theft. For example, you can:
- Stay in the house/apartment during the move: This might be the safest option, but you might hinder your workers. However, you can observe them and their work if you have any doubts whatsoever. After all, not all moving companies are fair and professional and not all people are. Maybe a new worker who is looking for a quick penny is going to steal from you, even though the best moving company hired him. You can never be sure, but you can always be vigilant!
- Move with friends or family: Invite people you trust for your move. Friends and family might be the best option for you. Of course, moving day theft in family and among friends is heard of, but you know whom you can trust. The point of this article is not to make you paranoid, but careful. Only hire people you know and trust.
- Place security cameras: This is not recommended for several reasons, but you might think it can work. For example, you are moving out of the house, why set up security cameras there? Moreover, no one is going to steal in front of the cameras. They will do it outside of the camera range. Furthermore, this is especially true for long distance moves. So, call someone with experience, like long distance movers NJ and ask them for tips. We are certain they will provide some!
What to do if it happens?
If you are absolutely sure someone stole your items during your moving day, you should contact the police as soon as possible. However, do not abuse this if you are not certain because no one likes to be falsely accused of anything, theft especially. Thus, if you know that you’ve been robbed, do not hesitate to call the police. They will most likely settle everything. Also, keep in mind that things like this might happen, but they are not the end of the world. Even if there is no solution, you can make sure to find one, according to law, of course.
You can also try to figure out when the moving day theft took place and to retrace your steps. You will be surprised about what can happen. For example, your items might only be missing because you forgot them, or because you simply left them there. You can also make a mistake, never count that out! However, if theft actually happens, the best procedure would be to contact the authorities and to see with them about your next move.
It is never pleasant to have to deal with moving day theft. However, it can happen every now and then. We are not saying that it should, but nothing is impossible. Hopefully, our guide helped you a bit with how to deal with such hypothetical situations and how to proceed if theft happens. Remember, you can influence a lot there!